Today's meatless Monday dish was Sweet Potato Risotto. I have a love/hate relationship with risotto. I love the creamy texture, but it requires constant attention and near constant stirring for the 45 minute cook time. I was inspired by the Framed Table's recipe, but, as usual, did my own thing.
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fat (I used bacon grease, but olive oil would be fine too)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch thyme
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce sweet potato with a fork several times and bake for at least 1 hour.
- Let cooked sweet potato cool until you are able to handle it. Then remove the skin and mash in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat fat on medium and cook garlic until everything smells yummy. Don't brown the garlic.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Allow to cook until most of the fat is absorbed.
- Add the wine and stir. Allow to cook until the wine is absorbed. Stir frequently.
- Add the mashed sweet potato and two cups of the vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Allow to good until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently. (See what I mean about the stirring?)
- Add the nutmeg, thyme, and remaining broth. Stir.
- When the remaining liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy and yummy, remove from the heat. Stir in the margarine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.